Thursday, December 16, 2010

Asking permission

Luke & Katelyn have regularly crossed paths since before they were born.

-> thier parents were in pre-natal classes together
-> they took Kindermusik classes together before their first birthdays
-> at 14 months, they started daycare together
-> at 2 years of age, they left daycare to spend some extra time with their moms and their new baby brothers
-> at 3 years of age, they returned to daycare together

For months now, they have talked about getting married. Katelyn's parents are originally from Ontario and when she goes 'home' to visit, she tells all her relatives that she is going to marry Luke.

Last December, the wedding talks seemed to increase. At a Christmas party at the daycare, Luke & I talked about 'when' they would marry...

Luke: "I can't wait to marry Katelyn."
Mom: "I know honey, but you need to wait until you are a little bit older."
Luke: "When?"
Mom: "Well, when you are old enough to marry Katelyn, you will have to ask her dad's permission to marry her."
(I suggested this b/c I was pretty sure Luke wouldn't have the courage to ask her dad, who was sitting in a chair two spots over from where we were sitting)
Luke: "Can you ask him for me, Mom?"
Mom: "No, sweetie, if you are not ready to ask his permission, than you are not ready to get married. It's okay, you have lots of time before you need to worry about asking him."
Luke: "But I want to marry Katelyn."
...he thinks for a bit...
Luke: "Can I ask her mom instead?"
Mom: "Sure."
...he hesitates again...
Luke: "Can you ask her for me?"
Mom: "No, Luke, you need to ask yourself."
...more hesitation...
Luke (to Katelyn's mom): "Can I marry Katelyn?"
Katelyn's Mom: "Yes, Luke, of course you can!"

Luke was THRILLED he now had permission!!

No comments:

Post a Comment